Saturday 4 July 2015

Lake Cardavillawarracurracurracurryapplaarndoo



Lake Cardavillawarracurracurracurryapplaarndoo *



At Lake Cardavillawarracurracurracurryapplaarndoo,
I once didn't see the starlight shine in the salt-lake water true;
Nor did I get the see if the rare water was just a mirage in the air,
For so long a place is hard too far in times too gone in loss to get to be there.


For if I thought I ought not to have brought us all deep outback past Oodnadatta,
There'd be nought but tough thought to be caught up a track of rude bone-shatter;
For a man on a saltpan is like a ghost Ghan lost from his camels in an old caravan,
For the land on the band of the sunstruck hand measures man in grains of sand.


At Lake Cardavillawarracurracurracurryapplaarndoo,
I once didn't see any starlight shone in the salt-lake water true;
Nor did I get to see if the rare water was just another mirage of the hot air,
For so far a place is hard for too long in times too gone in loss to get there.


If I could only keep wanting the dews to fall there like tears of a the world in pain,
The salty taste of the few drops I cry might flow out to make lakes again;
But whose tears would it need to water this thirst-pain with a drink come true,
So we all might to get to swim in Lake Cardavillawarracurracurracurryapplaarndoo


At Lake Cardavillawarracurracurracurryapplaarndoo,
I'd like to see the starlight shine in the salt-lake water true;
And I'd like to know that the rare water was not just a mirage in the air,
But I know that I've got to go out too far in times too gone in loss to be there.


* * *

NOTE ON THE PRONUNCIATION :

Cardavillawarracurracurracurryapplaarndoo is pronounced
- Carda-villa-warra-curra-curra-curry-appla-arndoo

* * *

Northern Territory, October 1995. - Written after studious research into the ephemeral lakes of Northern South Australia, where it is said to be the real and original name of a vast lake pan. I never did find out where the real place actually is, thought the close study of early-mapped options across the Lake Eyre Basin would probably find it out. After consulting my library and Reed's 'Place Names of Australia' with young Amy Holmes. Lake Cardavillawarracurracurracurryapplaarndoo was made mention of under the listing for Lake Cadibarrawirracanna which we skirted as we travelled, towards the Dog Fence, between William Creek and Coober Pedy. So this is for all might enjoy twisting their tongue around the hardest and longest place-name in Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment